It has been three centuries since the history of the first state choral capella of Russia is
Closely connected to the city on the Neva River. In this very place traditions of Russian
professional musical culture were conceived and formulated. It was the St.-Petersburg
Capella, which performed the first Russian operas and ballets, the specialized musical
school, classes of church choir conductors, the first Russian orchestra and the first
Philharmonic Society. Such masterpieces of the world classical music as the Requiem of Mozart, the Oratorios of Haydn, the Missa Solemnis of Beethoven and many other sounded here first time in Russia, performed by the Pevcheskaya Capella,
Artistic aspect of the Capella of the 18th century was defined by such remarkable
musicians as Poltoratsky, Berezovsky, Bortnyansky. In the second part of the 18th century
famous Italian composers Galuppy, Sarty , Paiziello, Civarosa were working here. In the
19th century the elevated traditions were continued by Lvov (the director of Capella
since 1836 till 1861), Glinka (he had been the main conductor of the choir for several years),
choirmaster Lomakin, Balakirev and Rimsky-Korsakov.
In 2003 the State Academic Capella, being the same age as our city, celebrated its 300-year
Today The State Academic Capella of St- Petersburg is one of the biggest concert
Organizations. It includes the choir, the Symphonic Orchestra, an 800 – seat concert hall
with ideal acoustics and an ancient organ.